[mythtv-users] Why isn't LiveTV as smart as a regular recording?

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 21:17:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Jelle De Loecker <skerit at kipdola.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just want to ask for a bit of attention to a very old problem:
>> For some strange reason, LiveTV can't switch the tuner automatically.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I'm just wondering "Why is this so difficult?"
>> When you record a show it WILL automatically choose the correct tuner,
>> that's what makes it so great.
>> I can choose to record 5 shows at once and the system will automatically
>> choose the right tuner.
>>
>> Why, oh WHY, can't LiveTV!?
>
> simplest explanation - mythtv is not designed for watching live tv or
> channel surfing.
>
> channel surfing is for people who don't know what they want to watch
> and feel compelled to watch what the network wants to show them at the
> time they are sitting in front of tv. Mythtv is for people who know
> what they want to watch, and want to watch it when they feel like it.

<top-posting corrected>

*Sigh*.  If MythTV is not meant for watching LiveTV, LiveTV should not
be an option.

MythTV is also for the people like me that share 4 QAM tuners, 2 SD
tuners, and 1 Firewire-equipped HD cable box to two televisions that
don't have cable run to them.

Despite the gnashing of the teeth that LiveTV is no different that
scheduling recordings and immediately watching them, this is frther
evidence to the contrary.