[mythtv-users] Why isn't LiveTV as smart as a regular recording?

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 00:57:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

>> I'm not trying to say /you/ should be writing the code.  But there are a
>> /lot/ of people in this (and other threads) who keep saying they want
>> better LiveTV.
>
> From what I've seen the people you refer to are most often new Myth
> users. The immediate thing to do with your shiny new Myth box is the
> same thing you were doing with your previous system (whatever it was).
> It takes people a while to realize that watching LiveTV is not the best
> thing to do with a Myth system.

As an FYI, my MythBox has been running since March 29th, 2004.  LiveTV
has a purpose in *my* house, as I've hashed and rehashed.  For the
most part, LiveTV works for me.  It has unexplained glitches, but
nearly every other function of MythTV has had unexplained glitches, as
well.  Should I not use MythMusic because it segfaults occasionally?
Should I have stopped using mythfilldatabase when it started to error
at completion daily, causing odd shows to be recorded that I hadn't
scheduled?

Pardon the brashness, but I'm just a little bit tired of the standard
response that people using a function of MythTV (in fact, on the
typical theme layout, the #1 function, menu-wise) are using MythTV
"wrong".