[mythtv-users] Why isn't LiveTV as smart as a regular recording?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Nov 13 03:45:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 04:05 +0100, Jelle De Loecker wrote:
> I've done a bit of research the past few hours.
> I believe the solution must be somewhere in these 2 files:
>
> mythtv/libs/libmythtv/tv_rec.cpp
> mythtv/libs/libmythtv/channelbase.cpp
>
> Is one of these exclusively for LiveTV, or are they used for regular
> recording as well?

Those are used for all recordings. You probably don't need to look
at channelbase.cpp much at all, but you likely need to look at
channelbase.h, dtvchannel.h and dvbchannel.h just to grok the tuning
interface. The majority of the code to implement a smarter LiveTV
would be in tv_rec.cpp and tv_play.cpp.

Good Luck!

-- Daniel

BTW To the guy who learned Visual Basic in school. I've found that
having some feature I wanted in a complex program in a language I don't
understand is the best way to learn a new computer language. The feature
you want keeps you motivated at the start, and having a program that
you are trying to figure out, both helps you learn the syntax and more
importantly the down in the trenches conventions for using the language
successfully.