[mythtv-users] Wanted, media player + DVD + PVR console unit.

Jeff Holicky myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com
Thu Nov 13 06:08:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:59:50 -0700, "Royce Souther" <osgnuru at gmail.com> s
aid:

  I am looking for a console unit that can play video files over
  the network (directly not using a streaming server to convert
  them first)  and can also play DVD's and record shows. I was
  looking at the [1]Helios H3000 system but it looks like Helios
  is out of business. None of their resellers are caring their
  products and their contact page is down. If I have to I could
  build another MythTV computer but a console system would be
  easier for my family to use and have all the output ports.
  For about a year now I have had a Hauppauge MVP, it is nothing
  but a pain. It will only use a steaming server. The server
  program that comes with it is for Windows and does nothing but
  crash. Their is an open source project in the works for it but
  I is painful to watch because it cannot keep the video and
  audio in sync.
  I have tried the  Mediagate MG-45 and it is good as a media
  player but the menu system is very cheap looking and it is
  only a media player. I know someone that has the D-Link DSM
  320 and he likes the menu system of that unit but he doesn't
  know much about how it works and cannot tell me if it requires
  a streaming server or not, it is also just a media player.
  If I end up having to build a MythTV system does anyone have a
  list of parts to make a console unit. I will need a console
  style case, I have seen them but don't have any part numbers
  or other information. I also need a line on some output cards
  for HDMI, component and others. Also the last time I tried to
  setup IR it was a never ending nightmare of compiling,
  configuring and tinkering. Are there any IR systems that just
  work out of the box?
  --
  [2]http://www.Radados.org

Hi Royce
Other than your overall question "I am looking for an "out of the
box" solution that works", I found your comment on the MVP
interesting.
This link contains a lot of information on the MVP - being able
to reburn to act as a quasi-front end unit - and all signs point
to a positive box if you are merely playing SD video.
Their manual clearly states that DIVX may have sync problems if
you try to go FF/RW with the "windows" bios - plus because it
doesn't have the DIVX decoder [why they didn't pay for the
license to include that is beyond me] you need the back end
Windows box to transcode on the fly to the MVP.  However, I am
not 100% on how it would work differently if it had the Myth bios
(might still require the back end, but perhaps FF/RW would work
better?).
OT: DIVX is a ROYAL PITA!  I have tried a slew of Windows based
converters - including the one from Divx themselves and most tend
to have sync problems with the audio from my experience or some
other botched conversion issue.  That is until I hit pay dirt
with this one (AVI.NET).  I have done a slew of movies and only
one had a slight sync issue - but it was consistent from frame
one so I was able to write a batch script that started VLC with
an offset.  Never never never any sync problems with FF/RW.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/avi.NET
That said - I will probably give the MVP a shot - initially as a
Windows box and later as a cheapo Front end.  I haven't taken a
stab at the Myth but lately I have been trying to come up with an
affordable FIRST front end - and gosh - part of me wants to
future proof by having HDMI today (even though I care only for
SDTV for the forseeable future) and part of me wants it to be
cheap cheap and worry about that crap later - still the MVP is
$100CA and custom box is between $400-$500CA.
I know going in that DIVX will be a problem - hopefully solved
with a 2TB NAS device.  (Read: I won't transacode).
So the long and short is - I am interested in hearing some more
details on your MVP problems.  If the open source was Windows or
Linux?   If your sync issues were solely watching DIVX (MPEG-4)
or MPEG-2 as well.  But from what I read, there should be no
"transcoding" of MPEG-2 since the MVP contains a hardware MPEG-2
decoder (hence the big difference between MPEG-4 and MPEG-2).
I appreciate and welcome further information on this.
My biggest beef with the Rogers Cable PVR (Scientific Atlanta) is
the sheer lack of space plus the inability to quickly offload and
keep forever.  So we are at 80GB (should have upgraded to the HD
- double my space years ago for $5 more DUH).  That is a major
plus with Myth - virtually unlimited recording.  In my world I
would love to record 10 shows a day - even if I can't watch them
all - knowing I don't have to bother pissing around with the puny
80GB PVR drive.  (Rules today is that I have to keep last 5
episodes, for example, otherwise it takes up the entire PVR - but
then when I want to watch it - it is gone!)
Finally to help with some of your questions:
1) Anyone I know in the tech world - says - NEVER buy D-LINK.