[mythtv-users] iptables not blocking traffic from MBE to SBE

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Nov 13 18:49:45 UTC 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 10:44 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> On Thu, November 13, 2008 10:12 am, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>>> Heh.  Do what I do - put login limits into /etc/security/time.conf
>>> and
>>> then use cron to restart gdm.  Also use cron to execute shutdown -
>>> h now
>>> when it's time to go do bed.
>>>
>>> My kids cannot log in to their computers before 5PM and after 7:45
>>> AM.
>>> Works like a charm.
>>>
>>> Next, a serial cable to the TV so I can shut it down from cron (my
>>> TV
>>> has a serial port for limited control.)
>>>
>>> I wrote a xwall script that mimics wall and puts a message on x
>>> screens
>>> warning of impending doom - like forced logouts and shutdowns.  :-)
>>>
>> You have teenage children who can't edit cron tables or pull out a
>> serial
>> plug?
>
> I have children who don't have the root password (yet).  Or at least
> they're very good at hiding it.  :-)
>
> The rest of it is parental supervision and authority.  I know it's old
> fashioned but we do have that at my house.  :-)
>
> --Yan

I use squid and block all port 80 traffic unless it goes through it.
It's pretty easy to set up users and give them different rules. Great
for blocking specific sites (my daughter is allowed to go online to
read her math/science books, but nothing else from 6pm-8:30pm, then
everything gets turned off at 9:30pm, etc.

-Brad