[mythtv-users] Comcast rendering my HDHR useless

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 21:35:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything we can do?  I tried calling Comcast, but the morons who
> answer the phone have no idea what I am talking about.  Are we in such a
> minority that it doesn't matter that we want our QAM?    I wonder if FiOS
> has better QAM support?  I could dump Comcast for FiOS.

I've came to a conclusion long ago that the money Comcast wanted for their
service wasn't worth it.  I pay $17/mo. for 12 channels (broadcast +
Discovery + TBS).  If they go digital on me, I will continue to use my
AverMedia A180 QAM tuners.  If they go encrypted, I will drop them
altogether and get my TV out of Chicago via HD antenna.  With my Netflix
subscription + Hulu and other online services, I get everything I want to
watch that everyone else pays $40+ more per month for (Battlestar, Dexter,
etc), I just had to resign myself to being one season behind.  I can live
with that.  There's more TV on my 12 channels than I can watch in a week
anyways.

Kevin