[mythtv-users] a couple newbie questions

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 03:00:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Mike Millner <mike at mikeshome.com> wrote:

> 2. Should I be receiving myth updates via the ubuntu updater? I'm not sure I
> want updates  that way just, trying to figure this thing out.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I_upgraded_X.2C_Y.2C_and_Z_and_now_everything_is_broken.__Help.21

In short, once you have a working system, you shouldn't be updating it
and certainly not automatically. There are a lot of bleeding edge
components, and the Mythbuntu people have done a great job in
packaging all of them to work nicely together.

If you want to update or upgrade, do it all at once at a time when no
one will want kill you if your system is down (I speak from
experience).

You'll also want to keep your OS on a different partition (preferably
a different HDD) than your recordings. That way when upgrade time
comes you can install a fresh system without losing any precious,
precious recordings.

Also, this list discourages top-posting.

Good luck.