[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 14 03:02:20 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Harry Devine wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I had problems with my on-board ATI Radeon X1200 video and drivers,
>>> so I put an nVidia Geforce 7300 (I think that's what is is) in.  After
>>> finally getting the latest drivers installed, the frontend seemed to
>>> take a long time coming up.  It just hangs out on the "Pre-scaling theme
>>> images" window for a long time.  I let it go about 20 minutes earlier
>>> and it never left there.
>>>
>>> So, since my box is still a "work in progress" and I don't have anything
>>> on it that can't be replaced, I figured I'd nuke it and reinstall
>>> Mythbuntu 8.10.  I figured that maybe some weird conflict between the
>>> ATI drivers and the nVidia drivers might be going on.  Well, no luck.  I
>>> reinstalled it and its doing the same thing.  Its been on the
>>> "Pre-scaling theme images" window for about 30 minutes now as I type this.
>>>
>>> When I set it up from the CD, I told it to use the 177.80 drivers.  I
>>> couldn't find anything about there being any problems with this set of
>>> drivers.  There was an option to use the 173 series.  Should I try going
>>> into the "Restricted Hardware Drivers" GUI and loading those?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>> Harry

>> take a look at intrepid release notes, specifically the nvidia driver
>> section.  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810
>>
>> intrepid uses a new xorg and legacy drivers dont work with it. as far as
>> I know nvidia is either working on a fix, or already has, not sure
>> havent been following too close as I use a newer card.  may want to
>> search ubuntu-users mailing list. you can find out exactly what card you
>> have with the command lspci in a terminal.
>>

> It got late last night, so I waited until tonight to run mythtv-setup
> after setting my xorg.conf driver setting to "nv" from "nvidia" as
> suggested.  Now, I'm running setup and I'm in the Video Source setup and
> it appears to hang.  I have an SSH connection open from my laptop and
> I'm running top, and I see Xorg is using 100% of my CPU.  WTF!!!
>
> I switched from the onboard ATI Radeon X1200 graphics (which had poor
> driver support that would make my analog tuned channels come in as green
> "snow") to an nVidia GeForce 7100GS that I had in my old machine.  I
> switched because everwhere I look I see "nVidia has MUCH better linux
> support"; "stay away from ATI", etc.
>
> Well from where I sit, they BOTH SUCK!  Why does it seem like I'm the
> only one who can't get a basic damn system going?  I see others writing
> "I installed <this> or <that> and it worked right out of the box".
> Sorry for the venting, but this is frustrating as hell!
>
> Anyway, any ideas on what I can do here?  I'm running Mythbuntu 8.10
> x86_64, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic.
> Harry

taking a stab in the dark here.... can you disable the onboard graphics
in bios?

anyone else?

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better."   Abraham Lincoln 1848