[mythtv-users] Default character set

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Fri Nov 14 07:11:44 UTC 2008

Prompted by Mike's statement about the need for the character set in the
mythconverg to be correctly set for a future upgrade to 0.22 to work I
thought I'd ask some questions.

Firstly, how can we check whether the character set is correctly set in
our databases?

I did the following on mine to check the default character set:

mysql> show create database mythconverg;
+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| mythconverg | CREATE DATABASE `mythconverg` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER
SET latin1 */ |
+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I then ran "show create table" on each table that is shown in the output
of "show tables" and verified that the default character set is also
latin1 for all tables.

Is that enough?

I guess what I'm asking is whether it would be useful to try and
diagnose any charset-related issues in an existing database before
trying to upgrade it. Are any such issues in fact already being detected
and perhaps even repaired by optimize_mythdb.pl ?

Thanks, Jan