[mythtv-users] Jerky Playback on only one channel - OTA HD CBS

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 22:47:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Calvin Harrigan
<charrig_mythtv at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hate to follow up my own post, but I got some more information, while
> running mythfrontend in verbose mode "most".  It's like I suspected
> something goofy with interlacing.  The internal video player in mythtv
> is constantly switching between progressive and deinterlaced mode.

It appears that this fall, CBS has started doing the same weird stuff
that NBC has been doing for a long time:  Mixing interlaced and
progressive frames. and changing frame rates between commercials and
the show (generally only for dramas, comedies, etc...not live stuff
like NFL games, SNL etc).  I discussed some of it here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/351871#351871

I'll bet your one hour shows show as 53 minutes in the OSD during
playback as well.

I don't tend to have issues with these for the most part now.  I use
bob x2.  The only thing I see other than the incorrect ODS length is
that, immediately after commercials the video often speeds up for a
second and then corrects.  You should go into the playback menu and go
to Video Scan and try changing it from auto to "interlaced standard".
That will stop that switching back and forth, and may correct other
issues you're having.

I wish I understood why CBS and NBC are doing all that crap.

Tom