[mythtv-users] Mac OS X choppy playback at high display resolutions, such as 1080p

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 16:23:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:53 AM, David Snider <dsnider at thesniderpad.com> wrote:

> scram69 wrote:

>> When I tried the same 1% overscan under 10.5.5, using 0.21-fixes
>> (18900 weekly build), playback really suffers.  I'm using a 2.0 GHz
>> core2duo mini.
>>
>> Has anyone had success using scaling to slightly overfill their
>> display under 10.5/0.21-fixes?
>>

> I'm not scaling because I go straight into the HDMI on my TV.  The mac
> recognizes the TV and overscan's on it's own.   Maybe try that?

I believe I am doing the same thing: DVI<->HDMI cable from the mini to
the TV.  The mini detects the display (Pioneer PDP)  It's just that on
some recordings there is a thin border (on NBC HD the border is grey
and on the bottom and left sides, on many SD recordings the border is
at the top, and contains flickering white bars).  Under 10.4.11, I
could use the scaling (second page of playback settings) to
successfully get rid of it.

Under 10.5.5, I can use 1% to remove the border, but the playback becomes jerky.

I am using the "slim" settings for playback-