[mythtv-users] large mythtv deployment

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 15 18:55:08 UTC 2008

On 11/15/2008 11:40 AM, Michael Johnson wrote:

>  On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
> > Michael Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> I am doing a fairly large deployment of mythtv at work and I am
> >> looking for any pointers that may help us out. So far we have the
> >> following hardware for a mythtv cluster and we are now debating
> >> over the hd5500 or the WinTV-HD capture cards. We want 8x
> >> backends and 8x frontends.
> >
> > Why on earth do you want to have eight backends? Are you setting
> > these up to be completely independant of each other? It's not
> > necessary, and you will be duplicating files and effort.
>
>  We have 8 satellite feeds. So we don't necessarily want 8 backends,
>  however we want 8 capture cards hooked up (somehow) to the hardware
>  we have below.

Are you sure that will work?  Are you absolutely certain that you're
getting ATSC feeds from your satellite?  And, if so, are you absolutely
certain that these feeds are unencrypted?  If the answer to either
question is no, the HD-5500 (and likely--though I don't know the
hardware--the WinTV-HD) won't work at all.  Feel free to ignore me since
it sounds like you have some special setup, so you probably know what
you're doing, but I just thought I would mention it just in case.

Oh, and BTW, the frontend is the part of Myth where the extra power is
useful.  My system has 2 backends (AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and AMD Athlon XP
2000+ with 1GB and 512MB RAM, respectively) each with 2 pcHDTV HD-3000's
and one frontend (AMD Athlon X2 6000+ with 2GB RAM).  The only reason I
have 2 backends is because I couldn't find a system (power supply and
mobo) that could drive 3 or 4 HD-3000's without power issues (and, once
I set it a 2nd backend, I liked the fact that it gave me a lot more room
for hard drives/storage).

Mike