[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 21:59:25 UTC 2008

Friedrich Clausen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> James Crow wrote:

>>> Harry to kill X completely under Mythbuntu you have to stop the gdm
>>> service. You can use Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2, F3, etc.) to switch to a real
>>> console (ssh should also work for this). Log in and then do a
>>> 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop'. That will stop the X server and you can
>>> then install the Nvidia driver.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> James

>> Nope, no good.  I am SSH'd in right now, and ran "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
>> stop", but when I try to run the installer, I get that message saying
>> "You appear to be running an X Server...".  I can't even get to a login
>> screen using Ctrl-Alt-F1.  I do get alot of errors in my Xorg.0.log stating:
>>
>> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
>> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
>> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
>> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
>>

> See :
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/276518
>
> It seems that updating to the latest Intrepid fixed it for some users
> - and that it is definitely related to ATI hardware. At this point I
> would suggest using a vanilla (normal) Ubuntu installation, update it,
> and try and get regular X working from that. Then you can install the
> MythTV packages seperately as described in :
>
> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php
>
> Good luck!
>
> Fred.
>

>> I had previously used the Restricted Drivers Manager to tell the system
>> to put on version 173 then changed xorg.conf to use "nvidia" as the
>> driver rather than "nv".  I thought 177 was hosed so I thought I'd try that.
>>
>> Damn, this is frustrating!  Its this sort of BS that keeps Microsoft at
>> the top!!!
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Harry

I looked that site over and it didn't really seem to apply.  It did to a
point, but not much.  So, I reinstalled with the Mythbuntu 8.10 x64 CD
and ran through the setup, and when I try to tune a channel, I get the
green snow shown.  From past experience I know that this is a video
driver problem.  So I'm back to trying to download the 177.82 drivers
but when I run it, I get the "You appear to be running an X Server..."
message.

So I've come full circle back to the original problem: how in the HELL
do I get this driver loaded?  To me, computers have 3 basic
functionalities:  can I see anything, can I hear anything, and can I
enter anything.  Why does something so basic as installing a damn video
driver have to be so so hard?

As I type this, my screen is hung on the "Pre-scaling images" screen
(been that way for 20 minutes) after I told the Restricted Drivers
manager to activate driver 177.  top shows Xorg pegged @ 100%, and the
last time I tried pressing "Ctrl-Alt-F1" to get to a console to install
the driver, all I got was a black screen with no way to enter anything
and no way to go back to the GUI.

C'Mon, it can't be this hard!!!!

Harry