[mythtv-users] Static IP in Mythbuntu

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 22:13:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I didn't want to put this into my other thread about my nVidia driver
> problem, so I'm starting a new topic.  I want to know how I can keep the
> ethernet connection on my Mythbuntu box set to a static IP.  Everytime
> my box starts up, it reverts back to DHCP and gets an address of
> 192.168.1.103.  I keep on turning off the network, editing the "Auto
> eth0" profile and setting it to static (192.168.1.200), then restarting
> the network.  But, like I said, when I reboot, it goes back to DHCP.
>
> How can I stop this and keep the static IP address?

You may want to try setting a manual connection up in network manager.
Network manager is probably what is resetting things each time you boot, it
doesn't use /etc/network/interfaces. Also a better option may be to set up
static dhcp in your router. Many routers will let you choose an ip address
that the dhcp server will always give to a certain mac address. Then you can
just leave all of computers with their default dhcp settings and you only
have to change things in the router.