[mythtv-users] large mythtv deployment

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Sun Nov 16 01:44:04 UTC 2008

Steve Heistand wrote:
> } We hope to have 6 feeds at 1080i and 2 at 720p. Do we even have enough
> } computing power to do this?
>
> if you are just recording the streams and not transcoding them then
> its just 8 simultanious writes to the disks. not much cpu power required.
> lots of disk accessing though. but any good raid should be fine.

Don't use RAID, disk seeking will kill you.
Stick a bunch of disks into your backend and set them up as storage groups.
The disks will just be ticking over with each disk storing one stream or
2 rather than thrashing all over the place to write a teensy chunk of
data here and there.

Look at using XFS for the file system and then tell it to allocate in
large blocks as its writing (like 128mb or so)
(its an XFS option not the actual blocksize that large, when you start
to write a file it then assumes that the file is going to be at least
that big, if you have 2 streams going on to one disk it reduces
fragmentation a fair bit.)

Will you be commercial flagging this stuff? If so bank on one cpu core
of a core2 style CPU per stream to do it in real time.