[mythtv-users] Time to take the next step...

Pat Pierce raker1000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 04:21:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:54 PM, <robbinsck1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice message, looks like you may be ready to be a true timeshifter.
>
> I'll just comment on a few things I remember.
>
> I don't know of any "piggyback" sata cables. But don't limit yourself to
> just sata drives in your main backend. There's always a stand-alone network
> drives, a couple 1 TB's in each front end etc. My opinion is Raid for the
> actual recordings is overkill, after all if one does crash there will be
> reruns. However, what should have raid redundancy is your main OS and
> database as well as a automated regulary scheduled "off-site" or at least
> "off-server"  backup.
>
> Lirc: My thoughts are if your mythbox isn't perfect, fix it (after a backup
> or two). After all you did it from scratch, you can do it again. And it will
> be better the next time around. Lirc is an AMAZING thing, you can
> practically make it do anything. With a little research of things like
> irrecord, irw and others you can make any button of any remote work with
> myth. There really is no limit, if you can dream it, we can probably help
> you do it.
>
> Your export problem is most likely related to your dvd-rw drive not being
> itentified properly in settings or maybe there's no ffmpeg on your system or
> something to the sort. We would need to see your logs to know for sure.
>
> Um, that's all I can remember. But Yes
> Myth really does ROCK!

I Second raid 5 being unnecessary for recording storage. If you
have a large video file library, you may want to keep those on a
raid 5 volume, but raid 5 is better for reading than writing, and
as robbins said above, there are always reruns if you have a
disk crash. Also, you'd be better off giving one disk to each
tuner, that way the tuners wont be fighting for i/o time, and
the disks wont be thrashing trying to write multiple threads.