[mythtv-users] Maplin twin tuner DVB-T USB Stick?

Dave Pearson lists at netsalve.com
Sun Nov 16 07:08:38 UTC 2008

Ian Barton wrote:

>>> Well I bit the bullet and bought one today. The device is a "TwinHan
>>> AzureWave AD-TU700(704J)" and, so far I haven't been able to get it to
>>> work. I'm away for the next few days, so won't be able to do any more
>>> with it, but if anyone has any idea how to make it work, I would be very
>>> pleased to hear.
>>>
>>> Dave.
>>>

>> Looks like this device needs the af9015 driver which is only available
>> in the V4L/DVB kernel development branches at the moment as far as I can
>> see.
>>
>> Paul H.
>>

> There is quite a bit of information on the Ubuntu forums at:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606487 It doesn't look as
> though it's straightforward!
>
> Ian.

Well I've managed to get it to work (I'm using kubuntu intrepid) - this
is how:

   1. I Downloaded and extracted the source code for the af9015 driver
      from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/af9015/archive/tip.tar.bz2
   2. I Downloaded the firmware from
      http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af9015/af9015_firmware_cutter/firmware_files/4.95.0/dvb-usb-af9015.fw
   3. I copied the firmware file to /lib/firmware/ and
      /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/ (I'm not sure which is actually used and
      the various instructions I found pointed to both locations).
   4. I changed into the af9015-93501ba684e4 directory and ran make then
      sudo make install
   5. I added dvb-usb-af9015 to /etc/modules
   6. I added options dvb-usb-af9015 dual_mode=1 to /etc/modprobe.d/options
   7. I rebooted and 2 new DVB devices were detected

I was then able to run mythtv-setup and add the new tuners n the usual way.

I have found that the tuners themselves are not particularly sensitive -
my Avermedia DVB card gets a much stronger signal from the Antenna - 93%
against 80% for Twinhan tuner 1 and only about 75% for Twinhan tuner 2.
I'm going to try adjusting my Antenna to improve this as tuner 2 doesn't
get a picture at all and tuner 1 gets lots of artifacts.

Regards,
Dave.