[mythtv-users] Advice on Building a Quiet MythTV Box?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 20:20:38 UTC 2008

> First, thanks to everyone to responded to my first e-mail:
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-November/238792.html
>
> So given people's comments in there, I'm exploring building a MythTV box myself.
>
> The first thing I'd like a MythTV box (that I would build) to be, is
> to be quiet.  Completely silent if possible.

This is not very difficult. But you have to first give some details on
your requirements. What  are you going to record and from? I mean HD
will require a faster system.

> Is using SSDs (Solid-State Drives) instead of a Hard Drive an option?
> (Anyone have experience using them?)

This is okay for the os and database but no good for recordings. I
mean unless you get a 512 GB or larger SSD.

> What about not having any fans?  (Like no CPU fan, no power supply
> fan, no graphics hardware fan, etc?)

No fan on the graphics is easy and cheap. You will probably want to
get the graphics card on the motherboard anyways.

> Does anyone have a list of hardware that is known to work (with Linux
> and MythTV)?  (Such that I could pick parts from the list?)

Read the archives.

John