[mythtv-users] FYI - New HW video accellAPI from NVIDIA

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Nov 16 22:27:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 14:00 -0800, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> Cost of the cards isn't the point.  The point is that their older
> chips
> support the functions that this new driver has.  I'm not going to
> simply
> roll over and accept whatever is handed to me by a company that has
> refused to provide programming specs for their hardware[1] which
> would
> allow the same functionality that has been available on other
> platforms
> to be implemented on my OS of choice.

When you bought that hardware you had a choice.

Why NVIDIA and not Intel or ATI/AMD?

I originally bought Intel, for all the nice reasons you mention. Tough
luck for me, the pure concepts are not delivering yet. HD output is
flacky (EDID issues) and still with quality issues when you finally
manage to get the right resolution for a day.

I finally bought an NVIDIA card as a stop-gap solution, still trusting
that Intel would be delivering first, in the "right" way.

Well, so far Intel is behind and I am thinking of buying another $30
NVIDIA.

I would be happy to be turned back to Intel, but not right now.

> If I was going to just accept whatever is provided to me and not
> complain about it's shortcomings, then I'd still be running Microsoft
> software on everything with it's support of non-mandatory broadcast
> flags that limit what I can and can't do with the video stream that
> are
> sent over the airwaves.
>
> [1] Never mind that their largest competitor has started releasing
> this
>      info.

Go but AMD/ATI. No, run!

Nico