[mythtv-users] Time to take the next step...

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Sun Nov 16 23:16:04 UTC 2008

At 09:32 PM 11/16/08 +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:

    [snip]

 > You are assuming that all HDHRs sold are connected to Myth systems, which
 > obviously isn't true.

Well, no, not exactly.  But I was assuming that they be used in
fundamentally the same way, with the PVR of whatever stripe) controlling
the tuners (i.e., the HDHR).  And if the PVR can indeed do that over the
LAN, what need is there for the IR remote?

 > Other system architectures could use the remote in the
 > HDHR the same way Myth uses the remote in a PVR-150, or in some other
 > fashion.

You mean as a means of inputting commands to the PVR itself (such as to
navigate the GUI, for example)?  This would imply that the HDHR is "feeding
back" those commands it receives from the IR remote to the PVR over the
network.  I've never seen any mention of that sort of functionality.

Understand, we're now into the realm of idle curiosity more than anything
else.  As long as I can count on Myth controlling the HDHR over the net,
with no need to rig IR emitters to the tuner boxes with duct tape (or other
similarly kludged "solutions"), I'm happy.  But I would like to better
understand the point & purpose of that IR remote port.