[mythtv-users] FYI - New HW video accellAPI from NVIDIA

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Nov 16 23:45:09 UTC 2008

Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> says:
> The point is many of us have 6 and 7 series cards that are said to
> be HD capable, that we have already invested in, we merely await the
> nix HD drivers...
>
> Why has NVIDIA seemingly skipped drivers for these HD capable cards?

I own a 7 series card, and a 6 series card, and a 5 series card, all
PCI Express, all (having been) used in the same frontend.[1] Despite
that, I'm glad to see the Nvidia announcement.

Yes, in an ideal world PureVideo would have been available for Linux
for years now. The Nvidia news is still progress, regardless. I now
have to pay $30 for an 8 series card for h.264 hardware acceleration?
I'll gladly do it if it means I can stay with my now nearly three
years-old Pentium 4 3.0GHz frontend and still play full-bitrate HD-PVR
recordings, instead of having to get a Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz box as I'd
thought.

Mr. Nvidia representive, along with your promised source code and
documentation, please see fit to identify the appropriate MythTV
coders who work on the video side and send them free video cards so
that they can get support into MythTV that much faster so the rest of
us will rush out and buy 8 and 9 series cards. Your investment will
pay off.

[1] I really should have just stuck with the 6 series card, which came
first. Long story.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array