[mythtv-users] USA recommendations for Digital Over the Air Capture Card

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:21:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> The HD Homerun is an EXTERNAL box which you talk to over ethernet, no
> card length issues there.  Dual recordings can flood a 100Mbps
> etherlink, but you should be able to do better with a Gbps ethernet
> connection (which are becoming more commonplace all the time!).

I have 2 HDHRs.  After I got the second one, I tried recording 4 HD
broadcasts simultaneously to see if there was a network bandwidth problem in
my 100Mb/s setup.  The streams averaged about 15Mb/s each.  I was pleasantly
surprised that I didn't notice any glitches or dropouts at all.  In my
experience/estimation, the very occasional glitches I see come from disk
bandwidth problems (recording 3-4 programs, plus running two commflag jobs,
plus maybe mythweb pounding on the DB) and possibly broadcast signal
problems.

If you use an ethernet switch to isolate the HDHR(s) and the backend from
the rest of your home network, the HDHR traffic shouldn't flood out  the
rest of the home network.

With that said, I still decided to buy a gigabit switch, just in case.

Jim