[mythtv-users] turning things over - migrate to new master backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 18 01:05:25 UTC 2008

On 11/17/2008 08:01 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Greets, mythtv-users,
>
> I assume that my current situation is somehow an faq, but I couldn't yet
> find fitting information and as I am very cautious to not ruin my
> current mythtv-setup I decided to simply ask once more, instead of doing
> the wrong thing(s).
>
> --
>
> Until yesterday I simply had a combined FE/BE-setup: one box with one
> DVB-S card, one SATA-disk, additional NFS4-mount in the same storage group.
>
> Now I bought a second DVB-S-card and put it into another box in the
> basement: that box should become the new master backend in the end, with
> both DVB-S-cards and all the harddisks, while the former FE/BE should
> then run as a diskless FE.
>
> Now I wonder how to migrate my installation with the least complications.
>
> Right now I have the two backends, one master, one slave, works fine
> after some initial learning steps (how to handle storage etc).
>
> What procedure would you recommend?
>
> Migrate the backend to the new hardware by following this:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7

I'd recommend
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore .  The
scripts can do backup and restore, and support changing hostname without
using the "partial" restore described by the link above (though they do
support partial restores, too).

> ?
>
> I think it would be best to "de-myth" the current MBE step by step, at
> first set up the new MBE in the basement, maybe nfs-mounting the stored
> recordings from upstairs to the basement for a start.

That would work.  Just make sure that the directory(ies) containing the
recordings are specified in the storage group(s) used to recording them
(i.e to make things easiest, just use the exact same directory
names--that's the full directory path that should be identical).

> I think it all comes down to "migrate to new hw", correct?
>
> Is the mentioned link enough?
>
> What about the changed hostname/IP of the MBE? Simply change it with
> mythtv-setup on all boxes?
>
> It's very likely that I think way too complicated here, but that's the
> reason for asking here before crashing it all up ;-)

I'd say,
1) shut down the backend on the old system
2) (assuming you're moving the MySQL database to the new hardware) do a
database backup (with the script -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Backup_database_and_rotate_keeping_the_10-most-recent_backups
)
3) then restore that backup to the MySQL on the new hardware (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Database_Restore
and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_a_specific_backup_file
)
3) use the restore script to change the hostname from the old hardware's
hostname to the new hardware's hostname (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
)
4) start mythtv-setup on the new host and configure the host (you'll
likely need to do
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 --at
least the capture card part, but possibly the video source part, too, if
you're getting TV from a different source )
5) start mythbackend and verify it works
6) go to the old host and do a "DROP DATABASE mythconverg;" in mysql
then shut down mysqld
7) then "rm ~/.mythtv/{config.xml,mysql.txt}" (all of that in the quotes
will work from the shell exactly as is--just no quotes)
8) start mythtv-setup and configure the old host (now a "new" MythTV system)
9) configure frontends as desired and enjoy

Mike