[mythtv-users] What browser do you use?

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:14:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Eric Mesa <ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com> wrote:
> Obviously MythBrowser is useless if you want to watch flash content.
> Hopefully that gets fixed in the 0.22 refresh.  I've configured Firefox to
> work via a very small script I found on the mythtv wiki.  Nothing fancy,
> just get Firefox to launch and then I use my wireless keyboard/mouse.  But,
> at least on my SD TV, everything on the screen that isn't mythtv is
> unreadable.  I think I tried playing with the fonts and other Fedora
> settings before and didn't get satisfactory results.  This would have been
> close to a year ago, so I don't remember what I did.  Opera is supposed to
> have really awesome zoom scaling on their web pages.
>
> So what do you guys use, if you use the browser at all?  Opera?  Firefox?

When I was using my old SD TV I did my browsing on a separate
machine... either my desktop machine or a laptop, if it was handy. :)

In my case, my SD TV was so old it only had a composite input. And one
audio input... so I could either listen to the left or right channel,
but not both. I chose to run the audio into my mini stereo, via one of
those cassette adapters meant for cars... but that's another story :)

Once I got my HD TV, I gave MythBrowser a try, but didn't like it. I
found it acted randomly, and there were some things I couldn't get it
to do properly... I can't remember what those were, though, and it's
entirely possible it's due to the ancient version of KDE I have. So
then I installed Firefox. But I'm running Slackware 9.2 (with only a
few components upgraded to 11.0 due to necessity). Slackware 9.2 was
released in early- or mid- 2004 (I believe), which is when I built my
machine. As such, it only offers Firefox 1.something. I found a
Firefox 2 package to install, which works pretty well, although it
randomly crashes on startup (but not always) and won't play any
sounds, via Flash or otherwise.

I used to use Opera exclusively on my desktop, but then I started
having problems with Flash (it just wouldnt' work sometimes), and I
eventually just switched to Firefox, which is too bad, because I've
never liked it as much as I did Opera.

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent