[mythtv-users] nVidia interlace problem

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Nov 18 17:21:47 UTC 2008

Preston Crow wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 11:46 +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> I've tried VGA to Scart with an FX5200 now, with Minimyth, which
>> currently uses the 169.12 drivers. I get exactly the same problem.
>> This is so frustrating. So what do we do? Does anyone know if this
>> ever got fixed in any driver version, and which cards/chips we are
>> restricted to? Or is it just best to avoid nVidia, and stick to ATI
>> or Intel?
>
> The only nVidia drivers that get interlacing right are the 8774 drivers.
> That restricts you to xorg-1.3 and a 2.6.22.x kernel.  It also restricts
> you to an AGP card.  But even 8774 has problems--you have to use a
> modeline from EDID for interlaced output; it's impossible to specify the
> equivalent modeline manually.  While nVidia does update some older
> drivers as legacy drivers, they don't update the 8xxx drivers.  The 7xxx
> drivers don't seem to do interlacing correctly.

So it's not just a problem with old cards. I'm amazed they aren't
looking to fix this.

> Another post here reported that ATI doesn't do interlacing correctly.  I
> haven't heard anything about interlacing with Intel.  I haven't heard
> any success stories with ATI or Intel, and I haven't heard any complete
> success with nVidia post 8774.

I've had a Radeon 9000 work perfectly with default drivers that come
with SuSE 11.0. Just looked at the xorg.conf I used and in the Device
section it has

   Driver "radeon"

So that's not the ATI propriety driver, is it? Doesn't that mean I
wouldn't have XV support? Strange thing is it played SD flawlessly
never dropping a frame, unlike the FX5200 when I set mythtv to ffmpeg
and opengl. And definitely the interlace was correct, unlike the FX5200
when I set mythtv to xmvc, or even tried to use xv-blit.

With the Radeon 9000, I did sometimes see the interlaces get reversed,
but I've seen that on every hardware I've tried, and it can always
be cured by hitting "jump back" a few times.

Cheers,
	Paul.