[mythtv-users] Mythdora 4 b-->MythDora 5 or alternative? DVB-C & IPTV

Fredrik Hallgarde mythtv at tedde.nu
Tue Nov 18 21:30:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have MythDora 4 installed on the BE and opensuse+mythtv 0.20 built
from source on a Mac Mini frontend (dual analog tuner PVR500)
I am happy with the setup but will in the next 6 month need the upgraded
networkrecorder of later MythTV versions.
Not directly related I have a computer-literate (but limited
Linux-knowledge) friend with a near identical setup as mine, he is
planning a move from analog to DVB-C.
My thought was to update my system to MD5 and then pass along any
gotchas...reducing my support effort.
However, as MD5 is Fedora 8 and Fedora 10 is about a week away the EOL
of MD5 is approaching fast.

I consider changing the (wonderful world of prepared) MythDora in favor
of CentOS on the BE getting a longer support cycle.

I guess my questions are:
Would you install MythDora 5 when EOL is 2 months or so away for the
underlying Linux dist, what alternative?
What version of MythTV is likely to have NetworkRecorder/IPTV support
(udp) that is fully usable?
Any specific kernelversion that is known to be a "good DVB-C" version?
(He hasn't picked hardware yet)?

Thanks for pointers

Fredrik