[mythtv-users] Accessing backend from frontends inside AND outside of a NAT network

Kenni Lund kenni.lund at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 02:57:21 UTC 2008

Hello

I have a MythTV setup with a backend and two frontends running in a gigabit
LAN. I would now like to extend the setup with a external frontend accessing
the backend over the Internet.

As the setup is now, the backend has a LAN address (10.10.10.50), which is
fine as long as a frontend is able to access the LAN address. However, since
the new backend is not on the LAN, it will fetch the backend address (
10.10.10.50) from the MySQL database and fail to connect to it.

I know that I could change the backend IP address to my external NAT address
and then fix it with routing tables and iptables in the NAT-router, but this
would route all traffic from my two current frontends out to my NAT-router
(100mbit) and then back on the gigabit LAN again. So this is not an option.

Is it possible somehow to force the external frontend to use another backend
IP address than the one it fetches from the database? This would be the
cleanest solution IMHO, but it doesn't seem like such a setting exists in
the mythfrontend setup or as arguments to mythfrontend.

Another option I can think of, is to use a hostname instead of a IP-address
of the backend and then just edit the /etc/hosts files on each of the
frontends. But as far as I've read, this isn't possible at all in the
current version?

I really hope that there's a solution to this, as I really don't want to do
a lot of dirty hacks to get it working :-/

Best Regards
Kenni Lund