[mythtv-users] Accessing backend from frontends inside AND outside of a NAT network

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Nov 19 03:14:14 UTC 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Kenni Lund wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a MythTV setup with a backend and two frontends running in a
> gigabit LAN. I would now like to extend the setup with a external
> frontend accessing the backend over the Internet.
>
> As the setup is now, the backend has a LAN address (10.10.10.50),
> which is fine as long as a frontend is able to access the LAN
> address. However, since the new backend is not on the LAN, it will
> fetch the backend address (10.10.10.50) from the MySQL database and
> fail to connect to it.
>
> I know that I could change the backend IP address to my external NAT
> address and then fix it with routing tables and iptables in the NAT-
> router, but this would route all traffic from my two current
> frontends out to my NAT-router (100mbit) and then back on the
> gigabit LAN again. So this is not an option.
>
> Is it possible somehow to force the external frontend to use another
> backend IP address than the one it fetches from the database? This
> would be the cleanest solution IMHO, but it doesn't seem like such a
> setting exists in the mythfrontend setup or as arguments to
> mythfrontend.
>
> Another option I can think of, is to use a hostname instead of a IP-
> address of the backend and then just edit the /etc/hosts files on
> each of the frontends. But as far as I've read, this isn't possible
> at all in the current version?
>
> I really hope that there's a solution to this, as I really don't
> want to do a lot of dirty hacks to get it working :-/

Before you get into this, have you considered the bandwidth required
to play back the high quality content you've captured over the
internet? Even greatly compressed content would be a nightmare. You're
better off using mythweb or vlc streaming which is well documented in
several places and then just worry about forwarding port 80.

-Brad