[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Wed Nov 19 13:10:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 19:42 -0500, Harry Devine wrote:

> >> I tried to kill X using "sudo kill <pid>" (obtained from "ps -ef |grep
> >> X"), then ran the installer from an SSH session, and it still tells me
> >> "You appear to be running an X server" message.  So I tried rebooting an
> >> when it comes up, I press Ctrl-Alt-F1, and all I get is a blank screen.
> >> No login or text or anything.  Mythbuntu installs the XFCE desktop, so
> >> why would the GNOME desktop need to be stopped?  Or am I overthinking that?
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >> Harry
> >>

> > Mythbuntu 8.10 does use gdm. I think it sets it to auto login by
> > default, but gdm still does the auto login. Here is what I did to stop X
> > completely.
> >
> > 1) ssh in from another machine
> > 2) ps -ef | grep X
> > 3) sudo kill $pid_of_X
> > 4) ps -ef | grep X
> > - Note X will still be running with the gdm screen
> > 5) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> > 6) ps -ef | grep X
> > - X no longer running
> >
> > The other thing I would recommend is turning the verbosity up to 6 on
> > the X log file. Edit the /etc/gdm/gdm-cdd.conf. Look for these lines:
> >
> > [server-Standard]
> > name=Standard server
> > command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -br -audit 0
> > flexible=true
> >
> > Add a -logverbose 6 to the command line so it looks like this:
> > command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -br -audit 0 -logverbose 6
> >
> > That will tell the X server to output more info to the
> > file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. That may help you find why the nvidia driver
> > is pegging the cpu.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > James

> OK, I did what you suggested, and I don't really see anything in the
> Xorg.0.log.  I installed 8.10, and told it to use the NVIDIA Series
> drivers right off the CD, which turns out to be 177.80.  When the system
> rebooted, it came up and immediately Xorg was spiking @ 100%.  So I did
> what you suggested above and put the -logverbose optoin into
> /etc/gdm/gdm-cdd.conf and rebooted.  When it came back up, it took a
> while for the frontend to come up (maybe 20 minutes or so), but it
> finally did.  Xorg didn't seem to spike but everything took a while.
>
> I tried tuning an analog station and, while it did come in and looked OK
> picture wise, it wasn't playing.  Basically, I got a still-shot of
> whatever was on that channel at that time, and it would update about
> every 10-15 seconds.  There was no motion to it at all.
>
> Lastly, I saw no errors whatsoever in the Xorg.0.log.  I was going to
> post it to this reply, but I wasn't sure if the list would bounce it or
> not, so I didn't.  I can send it along upon request if anyone is
> interested in seeing it.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

Are you sure that you are running with the nvidia binary driver? I once
had some trouble getting a Ubuntu install to switch from nv to nvidia.
You can send the X log directly to me if you want. If you are running
the nvidia binary try another tv app like tvtime or xawtv. Also try
playing some video files with mplayer or xine.

Cheers,
James