[mythtv-users] Possible to make a recording request?

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:15:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org> wrote:

>>  > nor is it illegal to give someone a copy of such a recording.
>>
>> INcorrect.
>>
>> That crosses the line between "duplication" and "distribution", and
>> squarely violates the Copyright Act.
>>

> my main point here is that there is clearly legality issues
> on mass and "for profit" distribution. But for limited personal
> use its wrong to just assume that something is illegal.
>
> If you dont pay attention to the things you can and cant
> do it doesnt take much for those with money to move the
> "can do" things into the "cant do" pile...
>
> Just as those in the media companies wish to tighten their vader like grip
> consumers should try to slip through their fingers.

And regardless, Isaac, the owner of the list (really; these messages
go through a single central server, unlike Usenet) has requested that
we not discuss these sorts of things on it.  Not because the technical
legal arguments may or may not have merit (including the extension
from "my roommate can watch my backup copy" to "I can give a copy to
my friend" to "everybody in the world is my friend" :-), but because
he'd like to avoid even the *appearance* of impropriety on the
official forums and avoid entangling the project in the public debate.
 I don't think this request is unreasonable.

Josh