[mythtv-users] Possible to make a recording request?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 19 17:17:49 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 10:05:30 Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2008, at 8:48 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I always thought it made no sense for outfits to spend millions, if
> > not
> > billions, of dollars in transmission facilities, and perhaps even
> > the launch
> > of spacecraft, in order to blast a program to as many people as
> > possible, and
> > then spend more money to complain that people are duplicating it and
> > furthering the distribution.
>
> You would understand if you were the one in that position and then saw
> zero DVD/BluRay/iTunes/WhateverIsCoolThisDecade sales for that program
> you spent millions creating. I've been directly affected by creations
> distributed illegally. It's not fun seeing your work all over the
> place and not getting a cent in return.

I suspect Richard Stallman would disagree with you :-)

It means that the business model for compensating artists is flawed, if it
depends on secondary or tertiary distribution profits.

The way to stop people from "stealing" your product is to make it available at
so reasonable a price, and with so little effort, that it's not worth
people's efforts to steal it.

The truth these days with music and video is that in a  lot of cases it is far
easier to steal it than to purchase it legally. If my options are to download
it from the net, or drive across town (burning fuel) and go to the local
mall, then quite possibly not find it at all, what am I likely to do?

--
beww
beww at beww.org