[mythtv-users] mythtv on the go?

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Thu Nov 20 09:10:54 UTC 2008

>> I have recently installed mythfrontend on a Linux EEE PC with the
>> thought of archiving/copying previously recorded programs in their
>> raw/native mythtv format from my backend server to portable storage that
>> I could use while on the road.  For some reason I thought mytharchive
>> would do the trick but it seems not - one can only create a native
>> archive that would have to then be imported before it could be played...
>> correct?
>>
>> So, without installing a backend on the EEE, is the only way to watch
>> recorded shows on the road to convert to a format that is playable in
>> something like mplayer?  Seems like such a waste of time if so.
>
> what conversion is necessary to watch it on mplayer? the answer is "none".
>
> yes you do lose the database features such as episode name, date etc.
> However you can use mythrename to get a sensible filename.

The eee has quite limited storage. I run a user job to convert my
recordings to mp4. I convert them to 640x480, which is the max screen
resolution that can play on an iPod. The resulting encoded files also
give acceptable results when played back on my big screen via MythVideo
and on my eee. They will also play on all the other portable players,
that various members of the household own. A typical 1 GB Myth recording
shrinks to around 250 MByte.

Ian.