[mythtv-users] I want mythfrontend number keys to just be number keys not cellphone texting keys

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:07:19 UTC 2008

When I am typing in a dialog box in mythfrontend (for instance the
title field in the rip DVD myth transcode daemon dialog), pressing the
number keys on my keyboard brings up a small menu of letters and
numbers.  This is like when you type in a text message on a cellphone.
 I assume this functionality is for people who only use a remote
control and do not have a full keyboard.  Also in the same dialogs the
numeric keypad does not work at all.  I think this is related to the
same root cause.

It is a good idea to include this as an option.  But having this
turned on by default is extremely annoying.  I'm not certain if it is
turned on by default in all mythtv installations or just in the ubuntu
package I installed.  I don't think myth always acted like this.  I
only noticed it after I started using myth transcode daemon a few
months ago.  But I have noticed this behavior in other sections of
mythfrontend, not just MTD.

I tried and failed to find an option to disable this in the
mythfrontend setup menus.  How can I turn off this "feature"?