[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Thu Nov 20 18:42:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/11/20 Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>:
> > Am I mistaken? What am I missing, if anything?
>
> OK - so I've been spending far too much time playing with VDPAU today
> to resist responding :)
>
> As I type I've got mythtv playing live tv using vdpau for playback.
> Double rate temporal deinterlacer, standard def MPEG2 source, (mostly)
> working osd, core2due 2.4gz, 8800GT and 1GB ram. Current utilisation
> hovers at around 1-2%.
>
> Switch to the 1080i/h264 channel (think high bitrate) - 1-2%.
>
> Switch to an old BBC HD h264 recording (again 1080i/high bitrate) - load
> 1-2%.
>
> No tearing, vertical sync seems to work 'out of the box' and
> deinterlacing quality is reasonable (though the implementation is
> simple and some further work could improve it).
>
> The main downside at the moment is picture quality (and the same
> issues apply to mplayer - so appear to be related to the state of the
> api/driver):-
>
>  - all my h264 streams break up intermittently. I think nvidia have
> acknowledged that higher profile streams still have issues. Otherwise
> quality is very good.
>  - all my mpeg2 streams and recordings exhibit some form of vertical
> 'blockiness'. It varies by source and I even see it on the nvidia
> 'reference' clips.
>
> All told, a pretty impressive start from nvidia - but it needs work.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark

I don't wish to take this thread OT but is this VDPAU included in newer
drivers? I have an 8800GT and would love to see what the fuss is all about
(as if Mark doesn't make a compelling case as it is!). I am using 177.80
drivers from nvidia's site. I saw a post on reddit a few days back linking
to the VDPAU section of download.nvidia.com but I did not see any source or
binary packages, just oodles of technical jargon that had me baffled lol.

Thanks
Bob