[mythtv-users] Who is VCRAddict - and who appointed him sheriff of Mythville?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Fri Nov 21 15:18:48 UTC 2008

> *sigh*  thats a war I lost a long time ago.  why did top posting become
> evil, why :(

 I can think of a few reasons, though I'm sure die hard top posters
will try to come up with excuses for them. Please note bottom
posting without proper trimming of quoted material can be just as bad
and some of this applies to that as well.

 # In Western society reading is done from top to bottom. Posting replies
   before the question or comment they are responding to makes
   them unclear. And the more quoted the less clear exactly what you are
   replying to.

 # Top-posting inevitably leads to long posts, because most top-posters
   leave the original message intact. This leads to wasted space,
   and more importantly confusion for the reader since they don't know if they
   have to read all of it or not to find more NEW information later.

 # When you have top and bottom posting conversations become nonsensical and
   the quoted post which is support to be there to clarify what you are
   responding to and how you go there depending on how much was quoted
   immediately looses all value.