[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Fri Nov 21 18:03:57 UTC 2008

At 12:20 PM 11/21/08 -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:

    [snip]

 > Every component-capable video card I have ever seen has supported also
 > s-video.  It just uses a breakout cable that plugs into a modified
 > s-video port for the component output.

That's not really a "modified s-video port".  Component Video *cannot* be
derived from S-Video, at least not with something so simple as a cable.

You are presumably referring to the 9-pin mini-DIN connectors sometimes
found on the backplanes of video cards, to which a (proprietary) "dongle"
can be connected.  The "dongle" provides the actual S-Video and Component
Video connections.  But this is NOT an "S-Video" connector of any stripe.
It's merely a convenient connector design for the manufacturer to use --
small enough to fit where it needs to be, yet also providing a sufficient
pin-count to bring *both* the S-Video and Component Video signals (which
are not at all the same thing) out to the exteriaor of the case.