[mythtv-users] Mac OS X choppy playback at high display resolutions, such as 1080p

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 05:29:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 8:23 AM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:53 AM, David Snider <dsnider at thesniderpad.com> wrote:
>>

>> scram69 wrote:
>

>>> When I tried the same 1% overscan under 10.5.5, using 0.21-fixes
>>> (18900 weekly build), playback really suffers.  I'm using a 2.0 GHz
>>> core2duo mini.
>>>
>>> Has anyone had success using scaling to slightly overfill their
>>> display under 10.5/0.21-fixes?
>>>

>> I'm not scaling because I go straight into the HDMI on my TV.  The mac
>> recognizes the TV and overscan's on it's own.   Maybe try that?
>>
> I believe I am doing the same thing: DVI<->HDMI cable from the mini to
> the TV.  The mini detects the display (Pioneer PDP)  It's just that on
> some recordings there is a thin border (on NBC HD the border is grey
> and on the bottom and left sides, on many SD recordings the border is
> at the top, and contains flickering white bars).  Under 10.4.11, I
> could use the scaling (second page of playback settings) to
> successfully get rid of it.
>
> Under 10.5.5, I can use 1% to remove the border, but the playback becomes jerky.
>
> I am using the "slim" settings for playback-

Ultimately, the solution appears to be to return to the 0.21 release
(not -fixes)  build (dated 16 Mar 2008 on the Snider Pad).  This
version of the OSX frontend still allows 1% overscan to remove
borders/noise without a performance penalty, either with OSX 10.4 or
10.5.

If anyone is able to use display scaling on their mac with a version
of 0.21-fixes >= 18547, would you mind letting me know which one?