[mythtv-users] Subtitles in Live TV or in Recorded programs?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Nov 23 18:37:41 UTC 2008

Andrew Junev wrote:
> Sunday, November 23, 2008, 4:27:23 PM, you wrote:
>

>> Andrew Junev wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> How to switch subtitles on/off (and how to choose subtitles' language,
>>> if available)? I'm using my MythTV with two DVB-S tuners.
>>>
>>> Looking through the docs, I didn't find the answer...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> You can do that from the OSD. Just press M to show the menu then chose
>> 'Select Subtitle' which shows a sub menu allowing you to chose the
>> language and turn them on/off.
>>

> Does that menu option appear only if subtitles are available for the
> channel that is currently active?
> This was actually the first thing I tried - going to the Menu and
> looking for Subtitles section. I didn't find it, but maybe I was tuned
> to a channel that didn't have subtitles available...
>
> Thanks for that information, I'll try it again!

It looks like you only see it when the current program has DVB
subtitles.  Some broadcasters may still use teletext subtitles in that
case you should see something like 'Toggle Teletext Captions' at least
that's what I see here in the UK with analog broadcasts I assume that
you will see something similar with DVD-S.

Paul H.