[mythtv-users] Problems with External USB Drives

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Wed Nov 26 08:45:53 UTC 2008

On Tue Nov 25, 2008 at 09:35:18PM -0600, Jonno wrote:

> Seems like it would be a good idea to check fragmentation so I echo
> aaron's request for those commands (I'm a total linux noob). I can't
> remember right now if I chose xfs or jfs and I don't know how to set
> the file size allocation so I guess it's set at some default. Any
> other advice would be cool.

Fragmentation checking will depend on the filesystem.  There's no
standard way of checking fragmentation (or defragging) an ext2 or ext3
drive (though there are some third party tools - shake is one I've
looked at).  I've no idea about JFS (never used that) but for xfs, you
can check the fragmentation level with:
    xfs_db -r -c frag /dev/sda1

and run a full defrag with:
    xfs_fsr /mnt/test

Note that the first requires a device name (and will run on a mounted
filesystem) whereas the second requires the mount point (and the
filesystem to be mounted).

HTH,
    Robin
--