[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:26:11 UTC 2008

2008/11/21 Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net>

> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 09:59 -0800, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> [snip]
> >
> > So for us folks that small frontends with a single (and already used)
> > PCI slot and AGP for video...has anyone found an AGP card that can
> > take advantage of this?  (Google and various online site have yielded
> > 0 results for me so far).
>
> There used to be PCIe slot to AGP chips bridge chips in the early days
> of PCIe, but never the reverse.

There are PCIe to AGP bridge chips out there. That's how the first AGP
Geforcce 6600GTs worked, the chip was only a PCIe part, bridged for AGP.
(This was not true of the faster 6800 AGP parts).

> My guess is that you are out of luck with AGP these days, as chips don't
> have the circuitry for it anymore.

There are rumours of nVidia releasing the 8000 series as an AGP card, but as
far as I can tell it's not been released yet. The latest AGP nVidia cards I
can find are 7 series. Good enough for myth, but not good enough for the
VDPAU stuff. :(

> Now, anybody seen a recent NVIDIA card on VESA Local Bus?

Ah, VLB, the AMR slot of the mid 90s. :)

Ian