[mythtv-users] Problems with External USB Drives

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:09:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:36 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:
>> Jonno wrote:
>>> Well the frag level did drop from 99.38% to 99.29% so I guess I will
>>> keep trying for a while and see what progress I can make. Also I've
>>> tried to run spinrite (grc.com) on the drive to see if there were
>>> sector problems but with a 750GB drive via external USB it was gonna
>>> take weeks.
>>
>> Is it possible to remove it from the external enclosure and plug in
>> directly to the mobo?
>>
> That will probably void the warranty and to me this looks like the drive is bad.

I bought the drive separate from the enclosure so that's not a
problem. However it's a pain in the butt. So far the defrag runs for a
while and then freezes up. I'm down to 99.17% now. I may try deleting
a bunch of old recordings to make some more space and then run defrag.
Are there any other built-in linux commands for checking a disk for
errors for example?