[mythtv-users] How to down convert?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Nov 26 18:28:26 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 08:41:57 am mlists at dressler.ca wrote:
> I have a dual-core frontend/backend with the hd-pvr working great.  No
> problems with watching TV on it.
>
> The problem I have is watching TV from other frontends that are less
> powerful. I have a single core frontend with a basic nvidia card but I
> can't watch hd- pvr channels without a large quantity of pre-buffer pauses
> and studdering.
>
> Regular mpeg2 video plays fine on these front-ends.  Is there a way to
> down- convert the video so I can play it as live tv?

You can transcode the HD content to a lower resolution. This has the obvious
drawback that you'll lose the HD-ness of the original. If you want to have
both, AFAIK the only solution is to go outside of MythTV to transcode the
recording to a lower resolution in the videos directory while keeping the
original. There are various ways to do this, mostly involving ffmpeg or
mencoder. You may be able to use one of the "user job" post-processing
options to run a script to do this from the MythTV interface, but I've never
looked into this option in any detail.

--
Rod Smith