[mythtv-users] HDhomerun Tuner Status on Mythweb Page?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 19:49:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this is a bug, feature, or otherwise discussed somewhere I
> didn't find, however, I recently moved from PCI based tuners to HD
> Homeruns (HDHR). Then I went on vacation... came back to find the
> power supply on one of the HDHR's had failed, leaving it offline for
> most of a week, meaning I missed recordings..
>
> I had been keeping watch remotely via Mythweb, esp on the "Status"
> page, and the "Encoder Status" had always shown available. I'm used to
> with the PCI cards, when a box was offline, tuner not working, etc, it
> would say "(not connected)".
>
> I can go unplug both my HDHR's, and here's what the web status page says:
>
> Encoder status
> Encoder 1 is local on backend1 and is not recording
> Encoder 2 is local on backend1 and is not recording
> Encoder 3 is local on backend1 and is not recording.
> Encoder 4 is local on backend1 and is not recording.
>

> So, three questions:
>
> 1. Is there any sort of keep-alive/status check between mythbackend
> and the HDHR's? If not, is there any plan for such a status check? Can
> myth get upset and notify me somehow if it fails?

The way I understand mythtv's interaction with the HDhomerun is as
follows:  when mytybackend starts it connects with all the HDhomrun
units defined.  Any units that mythbackend fails to find are marked as
"unavailable."  Mythbackend does not do any status checks until a
recordings is scheduled for the HDhomerun.

> 2. How does mythbackend PRESENTLY treat the situation of an HDHR tuner
> being offline? Does it count the recording as successful? I was
> watching the upcoming recordings screen, and never saw notification of
> "conflict/no tuners/etc).

If a HDhomerun subsequently goes off line mythbackend will not see
this until it tries to make a recording.  When mythbackend tried to
make a recording on an off-line HDhomerun the recording will fail but
mythbackend will not mark the HDhomerun tuner as "unavailable."
furthermore mythbackend will not automatically use an other available
tuner to make the recording.  Mythbackend continues to schedule
recordings on the off-line DHhomerun.  If you manually reset the
HDhomerun mythbackend will continue to use it without any trouble.

The recording will show up as failed in the masterbackend log.

> 3. Is this feature already present, and I'm either an idiot, or didn't
> configure it correctly? :)

I have had a similar problem with leaving my HDhomerun units running
for several weeks at a time.  I went to Europe for 1.5 months last
year.  After several weeks I had to have somebody physically reset my
HDhomerun units for me.