[mythtv-users] Advice on Building a Quiet MythTV Box?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Thu Nov 27 01:25:10 UTC 2008

Blammo wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:41 PM, migmog <andrew at migmog.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> The frontend was a net-booted VIA
>> mini-itx frontend running minimyth. Booted in about a minute, but more
>> importantly resumed from standby in under 10 seconds and consumed VERY
>> little power - ~35 watts when showing video, ~3 watts in standby -
>> which is too high but still an order of magnitude better that what
>> most people get.
>
> Aren't there still some pretty serious horsepower challenges when
> playing back things like 1080i or H.264 with a light-end front end
> like that, or has that situation improved? (not counting VPDAU)

You are correct. Using the VIA EPIA hardware to decode and playback HDTV
content (whether MPEG2 or MPEG4) is essentially impossible.

I maintain MiniMyth.

Over the years, I had hoped that he VIA EPIA hardware would enable the
decoding and playback of HDTV. However, either due to VIA's inadequate
hardware or due to VIA's inadequate support for Open Source drivers, it
has not been possible to use the VIA EPIA hardware to play back HDTV
video content. While there was some hope that MPEG2 HDTV would become
possible with the better Open Source support promised by VIA, I do not
believe that there is any hope for MPEG4 HDTV.

I continue to use a VIA EPIA SP8000E to play back MPEG2 SDTV, for which
it works well. However, my newer systems are AMD+NVIDIA rather than VIA.
The AMD+NVIDIA systems have no problem playing back MPEG2 HDTV. In
addition, they make no more noise than the fanless VIA EPIA solutions.
However, because they use cases with 120mm fans, they are larger.

While the AMD+NVIDIA systems consume more power than the VIA EPIA
systems when running, both systems consume about the same power while in
S3 standby. As a result, the power consumption difference is not as much
of a concern.

Because of Intel's support for Open Source as well as their CPU
power/watt performance, I had thought that I would move to Intel
hardware. However, VPDAU is making me reconsider. If NVIDIA's VDPAU has
good usability (in a way the NVIDIA's XVMC never did), they I will
likely stay with the lower cost AMD+NVIDIA.