[mythtv-users] Fedora 10 and MythTv on ASUS M3N78 Pro

David Knight dlknight at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 12:36:19 UTC 2008

Howdy folks,

     I have been running a Fedora Core 6 HTPC with MythTv 0.20.2 for a couple of years now with a Hauppage Nova-T dual DVB-T tuner. Recently added a Hauppage Nova-S DVB-S card to receive the UK Freesat service and in particular BBC HD and ITV HD (high definition, Dolby AC3) channels.

     After downloading and building the latest CVS ffmpeg and Mplayer plus dependencies I was able to playback sample 720p videos in MKV and TS format, however my system was too underpowered for decoding the 1080i H264 that the BBC use in their broadcasts only being an AMD Athlon XP 3200 with 1Gb RAM, so I bit the bullet and just took delivery of the above motherboard, 2Gb RAM and an Athlon X2 5200.

     So I have a few questions :)

Will I have any problems getting the onboard GPU (NVidia 8300) working thru HDMI with Fedora 10, has anyone done this already?Does anyone know if the MythTv 0.21 RPM packages will be available soon for Fedora 10 or I am better off using the source packages and building it myself?
I'm sure I have forgotten something but hope to here from some of you soon as I plan on beginning the build over the weekend :)

Many Thanks,

Dave K.