[mythtv-users] OT: Converting VHS to digital with Ion vcr2pc

Teruel de Campo MD chusty at attglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 13:50:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 21:56 -0800, Jonny B wrote:
> My mother has hundreds of old home movies and whatnot that she wants
> to convert to digital so she can get rid of the tapes. She saw this
> here thing, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it.
>
> http://www.ionaudio.com/vcr2pc
>
> It *appears* to do the encoding in hardware, but I am not sure. I was
> hoping someone that has used one could say. Otherwise, would it not be
> easier to get a USB capture device with hardware encoding (which can
> be had much cheaper) and plug her VCR into it? I am half tempted to
> tell her to get a Happauge HD-PVR and when she's done converting all
> her VHS tapes, then she could give it to me, and I could use it for HD
> capture. This seems like a more logical purchase to me than a VCR with
> a USB port and a extra set of video inputs on it. Anybody?

Jon,

I have done the conversion just connecting a VHS to the pvr-350 using
the coaxial cable. Then recording under Mythtv and then creating the dvd
from there. It is a very time consuming process because you need to
watch the vhs in real time and then produce the dvd. It is one of those
things that you may do once in a while.
I have a HD-PVR but is still in the box I have not spend any time with
it yet.
The ionaudio connect through usb if the auput is an mpg file it may be
worth it. Please let me know it if you get it.

Regards,

-=terry=-