[mythtv-users] lirc: Unknown symbol for ledxmit but not lirc

Stephen Sassman sassman1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 19:19:34 UTC 2008

I am trying to compile a second instance of lirc for my irblaster. The first
instance compiled and modprobed fine with the mceusb2 module. For the second
instance, I am using the instructions here:
http://www.mmdsi.com/mythtv/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html.
After moving lirc to myth-ledxmit.WIP, I was able to compile and install the
module. When I try to modprobe, however, I get:

WARNING: Error inserting ledxmit_dev
(/lib/modules/2.6.26/misc/ledxmit_dev.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting ledxmit_serial
(/lib/modules/2.6.26/misc/ledxmit_serial.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or
unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Dmesg says:

ledxmit_dev: register_chrdev failed
ledxmit_serial: Unknown symbol ledxmit_unregister_plugin
ledxmit_serial: Unknown symbol ledxmit_register_plugin

As I understand it, this usually means that you are not using the right
version of lirc for your kernel. However, I don't see how this can be the
case since my first instance works. Maybe because I am using a different
driver for the second instance, and that one is not compatible??? I am using
kernel 2.6.26 and lirc-0.8.4a. It is listed for 2.6.27, but should work with
2.6.26? Any help is appreciated. My wife is very pissed as I've been working
on this for five days.