[mythtv-users] "Dummies" guide to Mythbuntu Diskless Server

Yann Lehmann aristide at vtxmail.ch
Wed Oct 1 07:14:37 UTC 2008

Marc Barrett wrote:
> Is there a less-technical guide to setting up and using the Mythbuntu
> Diskless Server?  I purchased an Acer Aspire One, which has a really
> small 8GB solid-state drive.  I have a desktop full MythTV install
> (backend and frontend) working fine, and would like to use it to boot
> my Aspire One.  However, I haven't found anything about Mythbuntu's
> Diskless Server feature that isn't really technical.

Though my diskless setup doesn't work yet (the problem is the dhcp server
which does not start as expected), I found that setting up an image for a
diskless client with the Mythbuntu Control Center was easy and straightforward.

There is some kind of wizard that will install the needed package both for
the image server and the client-images, which you can "customize" if I
remember well.

I guess that the created client-image would work if I could sort out the
dhcpd problem (but I am planning to move my backend to newer hardware soon,
so I don't have time to sort this out now).

Yann