[mythtv-users] tuners and lineups and channels, oh my

Peter Abplanalp pta-myth at psaconsultants.com
Wed Oct 1 13:59:55 UTC 2008

so i'm exepecting my shiny new hdhomerun today and i'm wondering what
the best way to integrate it into my setup is.  i currently have a
master backend and 2 slave backends.  the master has a stb that feeds
one tuner, each slave backend has a tuner that has the cable plugged
into the back and thus is getting the analog channels.  i'm planning
on adding another slave backend just for the hdhomerun.  currently i
am using 2 lineups from schedules direct, the analog and the digital
for my zip code.  although these are essentially the same, i thought
it easier to use the 2 lineups than to try and setup two video sources
that use the same lineup.  now it seems to me that i am going to have
to perform the differing channels for 2 video sources that use the
same lineup.  (i hope my terminology is correct)

can anyone make a suggestion on how i should proceed?  i'm thinking i
need to dump all my video sources and start over a la
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.4 but i think i
now need 3 sets of channels: one for the stb (all channels), one for
analog and finally one for the unencrypted qam channels that i get.
i'm thinking that means i need to probably share the digital lineup
from SD between the stb and the analog tuners since the analog will
most likely be a subset of the digital  and then use the analog for my
hdhomerun as i'm thinking i may just get the network (must carry)
channels unencrypted from my comcast service.  however, if i'm doing
this anyway and can lighten the load on SD, is it possible to use the
digital lineup from SD for all 3 sets of channels?

anyway, if anyone can shed some light on what might be easiest/best
for my new situation, i'd appreciate it.

thanks!

--
Peter Abplanalp