[mythtv-users] Intermittent "File Not Found" Messages

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 1 15:45:16 UTC 2008

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I recently upgraded hardware for my combo BE/FE machine running Myth
> 0.21_p18116 and MySQL 5.0.60-r1 on Gentoo.  I built the system disk from
> scratch using the Gentoo sources for the 2.2.26 64 bit kernel.  The
> processor is an AMD X2 3800.
>
> To populate the mythconverg database, I did a mysqldump from the old and
> restored it to the new.  Then using mythtv-setup, I deleted and
> recreated input cards, frontends, storage groups, etc. to reflect the
> new enviornment.
>
> On the old hardware, the recordings were in a storage group named
> "Default" and consisted of 3 drives (/tv, /tv1, /tv2 - original, huh?).
> These drives were moved to the new box and mounted at the same points.
> On the new box I had a free partition on the system disk which I mounted
> as /tv0 and added to the storage group.
>
> Everything works fine most of the time.  However in the "Watch
> Recordings" screen, many of my previous recordings have lost their
> thumbnail images.  This is not a big deal but I thought Myth created
> those as necessary?  The bigger problem is that I can begin to play a
> recording and it plays fine.  But sometimes if I exit the recording and
> then attempt to play it again, I get a "file not found" error message.
> At some later point, the file will be found.  Another stop/start of the
> recording may or may not produce the "file not found" message.
> Sometimes stopping/restarting the FE will help; sometimes not.  This is
> all intermittent but I have only noticed the behavior with recordings
> that don't have thumbnails; meaning they were recorded with the old
> hardware.
>
> Any ideas on why I might be seeing this behavior?  I am at a loss as to
> where to even begin checking.

Intermittent problems like this are often hardware-related. I'd start by
running a RAM checker, at least overnight, and then testing your
filesystems thoroughly.

Remove and re-seat (not just push down on) all cable connectors

The fact that this occurred just after a hardware change makes it even
more likely you have some sort of H/W problem.

Maybe that's not your trouble, but it's always a warm fuzzy feeling to
be certain your hardware is working properly.

BTW - The fact that a machine ran Windows without problems does NOT
prove the hardware is OK :-)

beww